[xsl] element minimisation (again)

Subject: [xsl] element minimisation (again)
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:25:07 +0100

Someone just asked me why <node/> was coming out of the transform as
<node></node>.  After trying out some of the processors, it seems msxml
x when used with an identity transform doesn't minimise.

So, this stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

On this source:

<node/>

Produced:

Msxml3 	<node></node>
Msxml4 	<node></node>
Saxon 	<node/>
Xalan		<node/>

Now the reason this has particularly annoyed me is because I've always
wanted the ability to tell a processor 'don't minimise the elements'.
After a few long dicussions on the list it seemed that it wasn't really
feasible (or there wasn't enough momentum behind it) to have a feature
like this, but obviously that's just down to interpretation.  Lots of
people have had the same issue, and lots of people are adding &_#160;'s
to their output to prevent it.

This just appears to be an MSXML bug, but it would've been nice to the
option.

Andrew.