RE: [xsl] Using a StreamResult as a StreamSource

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using a StreamResult as a StreamSource
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:25:42 +0100

> > How can I use a StreamResult for a StreamSource. I am
> > transforming an xml document twice. The result of the first
> > transform is used to generate the transformer object for the
> > second transform. What is the best way to accomplish this
> > task. Please include examples with your suggestions.
>
> We're talking JAXP here, for those who are mystified...
>
> The best way to pipeline the output of one transformation as the input
> of another is not using StreamResult/StreamSource, but using SAX.
There
> are various mechanisms in JAXP to allow such pipelining. You can
compile
> a transformation as a SAXFilter, in which case it can be inserted into
> SAX pipeline along with other SAXFilters (which may or may not be XSLT
> transformations). You can also wrap a Transformer into a SAX
> ContentHandler, which you can then use as the SAXResult of another
> transformation.
>
> But if you must use StreamResult/StreamSource, then you can always
> create a StreamResult for the first transformation based on a
> StringWriter, and the use a StringReader over the same String as the
> basis for the StreamSource for the next transformation.

How can I pass parameters to a SAXFilter in the middle of a pipeline?
Is that feasible?

>From my reading of your last paragraph, using a
StringWriter/StringReader combination isn't *that* wasteful... so its
not quite the same as writing something out to read back in?

I ask because I want to use XMLFilters on the way into the transform,
perform a transformation with some parameters, then use more XMLFilters
on the result.

Currently I use a StringWriter, then convert that to an InputSource for
the XMLFilters that work on the result.

cheers
andrew