RE: [xsl] Mozilla and IE6 are different with disable-output-escaping="yes"

Subject: RE: [xsl] Mozilla and IE6 are different with disable-output-escaping="yes"
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:36:59 +0100

> My understanding of XSL is not great however I did believe
> that disable-output-escaping="yes" would render the escaped
> HTML back as HTML. IE6 deals with this as I assumed and the
> results are great, however Mozilla (and Firebird) both seem
> to ignore the disable-output-escaping="yes" option.

disable-output-escaping is an optional feature of XSLT: not every
processor implements it. It's a messy feature that disturbs the clean
architectural interface between the transformation engine and the
serializer, which is why some processors like Mozilla have decided that
it's better not to implement it.

It's much better to tidy the input HTML as well-formed XHTML which is
then nested hierarchically in the XML tree structure rather than being
escaped or wrapped in CDATA. You can do this by invoking the W3C tidy
utility if you need to.

Michael Kay