Re: [xsl] XSL-FO book recommendations?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO book recommendations?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:08:32 -0400

At 2003-08-08 15:08 +0200, Newton, Philip wrote:
So far, I've seen three books focussing particularly on XSL-FO:

* XSL-FO (Dave Pawson/O'Reilly)
* Definitive XSL-FO (G. Ken Holman/Prentice-Hall PTR)
* XSL Formatting Objects Developer's Handbook (Doug Lovell/SAMS)

May I add to the list the electronic edition of the above "Definitive XSL-FO" book? The Prentice-Hall publication is a paper rendition of an older edition of:

  Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
  (Extensible Stylesheet Language Formatting Objects)
  Fourth Edition - 2003-04-11 - ISBN 1-894049-11-X
  Copyright (c) 2003 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 466 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates,
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions.
  /           / Free 242-page download preview excerpt.

Before getting one of them, I'd like to ask the list. What experiences do
you have with the books?

You can get your own experience with our book before buying it because the electronic edition has a free excerpt download in order for people to:

 (1) - have a very useful standalone reference in and of itself, extensively
       hyperlinked within itself and out from the PDF book to the W3C
       Recommendation in a separate web browser window (the reference annexes
       are included in the free preview in their entirety)

 (2) - read the full text of the introductory sections and each chapter in
       order to make the decision to buy the book or not (either an individual
       license, geographic site staff license, or world staff license)

Note that a single purchase of the electronic edition entitles the owner to all future editions at no additional charge. Some owners of the book who are on this mail list have received multiple editions, each one more up-to-date and detailed than previous editions. The most recent edition added a new chapter that isn't in the paper rendition.

I think I'm looking for a more tutorial-style complement to the W3C spec
which is a reference.

I think you will find this is true from reading the free excerpt.

I hope this helps.

......................... Ken

p.s. we also have an electronic edition of our "Definitive XSLT and XPath" book that is currently in another revision cycle:

  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
  (XSL Transformations and the XML Path Language)
  Tenth Edition - 2001-12-06 - ISBN 1-894049-08-X
  Copyright (c) 2001 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
  / 394 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates,
  /           / soft-copy of included examples, and an
  /           / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions.
  /           / Free 140-page download preview excerpt.

p.p.s. US Government employees (not contractors) are already entitled to prepaid copies of both electronic books we sell due to a worldwide license

-- Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available; North America public: XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc