Re: AW: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?

Subject: Re: AW: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?
From: Stan Devitt <jsdevitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:24:13 -0400

I apologize for yet another message on lexicographic sorting but
in light of the considerable confusion exibited on this issue I'd like to see
three points emphasised.

1. Lexicograpahic is important precisely because it is so well defined (and because of this I suspect the spec writers really meant it when the wrote it in. )
It provides an easy to check reference implementation that is 99% usable.

2. The notion of "lexicographic sorting" in the "culturally correct" manner is also valid,
but it falls short of implementing all of UTR 10. The only "cultural choice" you have in a
lexicograpahic sort is in deciding on a total order of the symbols of your alphabet.
After that, everything else is determined.

3. Placing selected "words" out of lexicographic order (however well intended)
clearly violates the lexicographic constraint of the spec and is in error as the spec
is currently worded.

As a follow on action, I'd like to see the spec writers clarify (in the spec)
that they really do mean lexicographic, and perhaps augment the list of available sorts
by a "pseudo-lexicographical" or "word" based sort in order to capture
what actually got implemented and which is important for its own reasons
but is much less well defined.

Stan Devitt

Markus Abt wrote:

David,

It seems to me that the XSLT specification wants lexicographic ordering in the
culturally correct manner.
Mabye this is a contradiction, in this case I would regard this an error in the XSLT spec.