RE: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:50:46 +0100

> I know that the word lexicographic is also used to describe a class of
> sorting algorithms, but I don't think the XSLT 1.0 spec is using the
> word in that sense.

Not even in a technical specification in a section on sorting???????

> And in my
> dictionary, "Johnsonian" comes after "johnny" and before
> "joie-de-vivre". I think the great man would have been surprised if he
> had appeared before "a" or after "zymotic".

There is not a question of Johnson coming before a or after z.
The XSLT 1 spec makes
it clear that the choice of case order is between
A a B b C c  and a A b B c C
not the other possible alternatives of
A B C a b c or a b c A B C.

> word in that sense. This is clear from the phrase "lexicographically in
> the culturally correct manner for the language..." and from the fact
> that it recommends Unicode TR10, which is not a lexicographic sort in
> that sense.
I read TR10 again and to be honest I still missed how that justifies the
algorithm the implementations appear to use. TR10 makes it clear that
the chunking of the string into units can be culturally dependent (ae
one letter or two) and the ordering of the units is of course cultrally
dependent but once you have ordered the units "lexicographic ordering"
specifies precisely how sequences of those units (ie, strings) are
ordered.

David