Re: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting Upper-Case first. Microsoft bug?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:24:16 +0100

me> No, It's a bug.

MK> (therefore, by definition, this is not a
MK> Microsoft non-conformance).

Oh so we are not both Jeni, after all...

  The first says that two implementations may produce different results -
  in other words, the spec does not attempt to be completely prescriptive
  about the output order (therefore, by definition, this is not a
  Microsoft non-conformance)

I don't believe that the first note authorises this behaviour.
it does not give a blanket licence to produce any result, it is an
observation that because character order is language and system
dependent the resulting lexicographic ordering will be too.
The exact places that are system dependent are listed in the normative
text above.

  The second note points to Unicode TR-10:
  http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr10/index.html

  The key thing here is that case is only considered if the two strings
  (as a whole) are the same except in case.

You mean that this is a feature of the algorithm in TR-10 (I didn't
follow it closely enough to derive this property just now)?

Of course XSLT 1.0 doesn't actualy define "lexicographic" but my
understanding is that it always implies a direct extension on an
ordering on characters to an ordering on strings by comparing the first
different position. If that isn't what is intended I think XSLT
shouldn't use this term and should just directly refer to TR10.

David