RE: [xsl] Pound sign encoding issue

Subject: RE: [xsl] Pound sign encoding issue
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:56:11 +0100

> I am using Microsoft Access to output to XML. I am then using
> XSTL to transform the XML to other XML formats. My data in
> Access includes a pound sign.

("Pound sign" is the correct Unicode name for this character, but you
should be aware that many Americans, for some reason I have not
understood, refer to the "#" character as a pound sign).

 The XML format straight out of
> Access looks fine in a browser but on closer inspection the
> pound sign in being rendered as £ as opposed to just a £.

The problem is with the software that you are using to do the "close
inspection". It doesn't understand UTF-8 encoding and is displaying the
character incorrectly. Find some software that displays UTF-8 correctly,
or choose a different encoding for your XSLT output, e.g. <xsl:output
encoding="iso-8859-1"/>.

This is a FAQ.

Michael Kay