[xsl] how to test for presence of a file with XSLT?

Subject: [xsl] how to test for presence of a file with XSLT?
From: "Jaques, Yves (FIDI)" <Yves.Jaques@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:53:46 +0200

I use a file separate from the source XML file to control the naming of xml
elements on output. This is mostly for multi-lingual implementation.
However, I have some users that want different labels from everybody else
(ggrhhh!). What I want to do is change the XSL so that it tries to load a
file-specific labels file, and if it doesn't find it, loads the default
labels file.

I thought I could be tricky by attempting a load with the document()
function and then testing for emptiness, but the parser didn't like that
approach at all. We use XALAN-J as our parser. Do I need an extension
function to do this?

thanks,
Yves Jaques
Information Officer     FIDI
FIDI - room F-320
United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation
viale delle Terme di Caracalla - 00100 Roma - ITALIA