Re: [xsl] alignment of a leader in XSL:FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] alignment of a leader in XSL:FO
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:36:07 -0400

At 2003-07-24 14:58 +0200, Bjoern Eilmes wrote:
In my XSL file I have defined a leader, this leader appears at the bottom of a line,

This is not conformant to the XSL-FO 1.0 specification. Inline constructs such as graphics and leaders sit on the text baseline, not at the bottom of a line.

but I like it to appear at the top of the line.
I tried the attributes leader-alignment="middle" and "top" alignment-baseline="middle" and "top" but it does not work.

To align inline-level constructs, one uses alignment-adjust= ... I find I often have to use this for my graphics, otherwise they look superscripted. Many of my students are surprised to learn that graphics do not sit on the bottom of a text line when using non-ideographic scripts.

Has somebody an idea how I get this leader at the top of a line?

The example below works as I expect when I run it on Antenna House. The third leader is drawn at the top of line.

I hope this helps.

........... Ken

  <block>This is a test</block>
  <block text-align-last="justify">
    ABC<leader leader-pattern="rule"/>DEF
  </block>
  <block>This is a test</block>
  <block text-align-last="justify">
    ABC<leader leader-pattern="rule" alignment-adjust="after-edge"/>DEF
  </block>
  <block>This is a test</block>
  <block text-align-last="justify">
    ABC<leader leader-pattern="rule" alignment-adjust="before-edge"/>DEF
  </block>
  <block>This is a test</block>

-- Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available; North America public: XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc