RE: [xsl] Microsoft.XMLDOM UTF-8 Encoding!

Subject: RE: [xsl] Microsoft.XMLDOM UTF-8 Encoding!
From: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:57:41 +0200

The first bytes *may* tell the encoding.

> Like this UTF-16 => "Unicode byte-order mark [0xFF 0xFE] or [0xFE 0xFF]"
>
> But Microsoft (and lot more) say that XML file generate with ASP
> and XMLDOM
> are UTF-8 by default. (no byte was added to the file...)

It doesn't need to.

> So, How tell "Microsoft.XMLDOM" to save my XML file with a true UTF-8
> encoding?

To *save* a DOM in UTF-8, do what you're already doing (create the XML
declaration using MSXML's createProcessingInstruction() and save the file).

However the issue seems to be *serving* XML to a client. You'll need to show
us *that* ASP code to find the problem. It's almost certainly an unnecessary
round-trip of the XML serialization trough a string, such as

	response.write(dom.xml)

or

	response.write(dom1.transformNode(dom2))

which *will* break encoding information.

Julian