RE: [xsl] select in the tag

Subject: RE: [xsl] select in the <xsl:param /> tag
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:28:18 +0100

> Am I right in saying that declaring the <xsl:param /> tag as
> follows will make the named node set default to null if the
> template is called without the <xsl:with-param /> tag.
>
> <xsl:param name="node-set" select=".." />
>
> or is it
>
> <xsl:param name="node-set" select="" />

Both wrong. select=".." causes the default to be the parent of the
context node. It's highly unusual to use a default value for a param
that depends on the context, and I can't think of any good reasons for
wanting to do it, but it is permitted.

The second is an error. The value of the select attribute has to be an
expression.

A common convention for getting an empty node-set in XPath 1.0 is /..
(which selects the parent of the root, which doesn't exist). In XPath
2.0 you write "()".

Michael Kay