RE: [xsl] Unescaping < and >

Subject: RE: [xsl] Unescaping < and >
From: "bryan" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:52:15 +0200

>> Is there any way of unescaping a "&lt;" and "&gt;" from a
>> text() element.
>> I'd like to
>> re-inject what is supposed to be xml, but is provided instead
>> as escaped text within document elements.

I'm betting this poor soul has had to work with xml (RSS) produced from
Radio Userland or another 'major' blogging tool. Excuse the sarcasm but
I also have had to do so, if this is the case the escaped markup in that
case is escaped html and is not required to be well-formed, most tools
seem to just pass it through unquestioned, can't be done from an xsl-t
standpoint, I used tidy to turn the malformed escaped html to XHTML via
an extension function.

 >Saxon you can do this using the saxon:parse() extension function.

Maybe there should be an exsl:parse-string(), as was discussed here:
http://lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/exslt/2001-April/000080.html
(hasn't been implemented, has it?), I say this because there is quite a
lot of tools out there from the blogging domain that use this crazy
strategy of handling markup.