RE: [xsl] about & ...

Subject: RE: [xsl] about & ...
From: Stuart Brown <sbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:45:08 +0100

XSLT is expressed in XML, and so must conform to all the XML rules,
including the fact that "&" is a forbidden character used only to mark the
start of an entity and must be represented with "&amp;".

translate('Food &amp; Drink','&amp; ','')

Note I've also added the space in the second argument so these are replaced
as well to provide "FoodDrink".

To pre-empt your next question, the use of &amp; is required in the
serialized XML document. The above function will not translate each
individual character of '&','a','m', etc. to '', because an XSLT stylesheet
is parsed like any other XML document prior to processing, and so the XSLT
engine itself will understand it as '&' --> ''.