Re: [xsl] coping with huge xml-saxon

Subject: Re: [xsl] coping with huge xml-saxon
From: Paul Tremblay <phthenry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:32:30 -0400

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:31:47PM +0100, Michael Kay wrote:

> > > So what exactly is the memory limit for XSLT
> > transformations? I know
> > > that Michale Kay in his book mentions that documents larger
> > than 1 or
> > > 2 MB cannot be processed by an XSLT processor, because, as you say,
> > > the processor loads them into memory.
> >
> > Did he really say that?  That would surprise me, because that
> > limit seems rather low.
>
> It would surprise me too, but anything is possible.
>
> Michael Kay

I thought I was mistaken. But here is the quote:

"One caveat about data conversion applications: today's XSLT processors
all rely on holding the data in memory while the transformation is
taking place. The tree structure in memory cann be as much as ten times
the original data size, so in practice, the limit on data size for an
XSLT conversion is a few megabytes. Even at this size, a complex
conversion can be quite time-consuming, it depends very much on the
processing that you actually want to do."(p. 45. Kay, Michael, *XSLT 2nd
edition. Programmer's Reference*: Arden House, Birmingham, Acock's
Green, Canada, Wrox Press, 2001.)

Paul