RE: [xsl] Decent and reasonably priced editor

Subject: RE: [xsl] Decent and reasonably priced editor
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:06:55 -0400

[ Kaine Varley]

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent and
> reasonably price XML
> editor for both XML and XSLT? I used to use XMLSpy 3.5, which
> had some great
> features like formatting and indenting XML. However, I was
> quite taken aback
> by the enormous price hike $399, to version 5. I'm not after
> anything fancy,
> like managing XML projects or even intelli-sense, just the
> formatting and
> parsing for validity would be great.

I am very partial to XML Cooktop, which is free and runs on Windows.  It
is the best such tool, IMHO, to run xslt transformations on, and you can
validate and format the xml (using Tidy, which is preconfigured in the
tool).  It lets you use a wide range of processors and makes it easy to
switch among them.

Rick Jelliffe's Collaborative Markup Editor (search for Toplogi) is the
best editor if you have a lot of character encoding problems, want the
most complete facilities for validation (xsd, Schematron, Relax NG,
DTD), or if you sometimes want to work with  SGML  or some other non-xml
variant.  The community model is about $70, but I believe you can use it
free with some restrictions.

Cheers,

Tom P