[xsl] Re: XML to RTF - display of Unicode

Subject: [xsl] Re: XML to RTF - display of Unicode
From: Els van Trigt <evtrigt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:27:05 +0200

My XSL stylesheet converts from XML to RTF. Works fine. However, if opened
in Word, it does not display the foreign (Arabic) symbols. Instead, I RTF
uses see the Uniode code (mapped to the XML by DTD).

Example:
XML: &aeidasheiquot; DTD:"&#x1EB3;" (hexadecimal) mapped in RTF to:
&#7859;(decimal)

In my XSL I put the ISO-8859-1 encoding:
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="ISO-8859-1" indent="yes"
omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

I've tried a different encoding (ISO-8859-6) but this does not work either
and, moreover I then lose the display of the Latin symbols (eacute, etc.). I
guess the problem is in setting the encodings, or Windows code page number
or something similar.
I need some code in my XSL that makes all of the different encodings
(latin, Arabic, Hebrew, etc.) display properly when the RTF is opened in
Word. I am using the Arial Unicode MS font.

Who has the answer?

Els van Trigt

Ambrac Information Management
Pieterstraat 11