RE: [xsl] Generated Code: GPL Protected?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Generated Code: GPL Protected?
From: "Martinez, Brian" <brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:17:32 -0600

Interesting question, although off-topic for the list.

Typically, code generated from another tool is not automatically covered by
the license under which the tool is released, unless the developer states
otherwise.  It is up to the end-user of the product to determine which
license the generated code uses.

> (and yes it will contain header with the license).

Then your code will be protected under the GPL.

Now, if you offer your code-generation tool to others, then you'll probably
want to remove the code that generates the license header, or at least make
it optional, otherwise you're restricting end-users to releasing their
generated code under the GPL.  It's a bit like Acrobat auto-generating Adobe
copyright notices on PDF documents.

cheers,
b.

| brian martinez                           brian.martinez@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| lead gui programmer                                    303.357.3548 |
| cheap tickets, part of trip network                fax 303.357.3380 |
| 6560 greenwood plaza blvd., suite 400           englewood, co 80111 |
| cendant travel distribution services   http://www.cheaptickets.com/ |