[xsl] XPath and root-less namespace problem

Subject: [xsl] XPath and root-less namespace problem
From: "Ken Shino" <kenji@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:41:13 -0400

Hello all:

I'm running into a bit of a snag trying to create an XSL that will parse the
following information:

<definitions xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" name="IZPOP3service"
targetNamespace="http://www.zanetti-dev.com/"
xmlns:tns="http://www.zanetti-dev.com/"
xmlns:ns1="http://www.zanetti-dev.com/XMLSchema"
xmlns:ns2="http://www.borland.com/namespaces/Types">
  <service name="IZPOP3service">
    <port name="IZPOP3Port" binding="tns:IZPOP3binding">
      <soap:address
location="http://www.zanetti-dev.com/scripts/zpop3ws.exe/soap/IZPOP3"/>
    </port>
  </service>
</definitions>

My XPath of:

    //definitions/service/port[@name='IZPOP3service']/*/@location

returns nothing.

However, if I remove the "xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl'" from my
code, it works BEAUTIFULLY.  I can fully traverse this file, and can do any
XPath I want to.  But that's not the right way to do this.

What am I doing wrong?  Short of writing some code that will remove any
occurances of the words "xmlns='pattern'" from an XML document, I need to
figure this out.

I've been able to grab the Node.getDocumentElement() and try a query using
the above XPath, but nothing has worked.  I've even tried an arbitrary
namespace call of:

    //noexist:definitions/service/port ... /@location

And various deviations of that, and it still doesn't work.  I'm at an
impass - my code with namespaces that are non-root work.  Root namespaces
break everything.

Can anyone shed some light as to what I might be doing wrong and/or how to
fix this so it works?

-- Ken