[xsl] Re: XPath: better way to check for text nodes that aren't descendents of x or y nodes?

Subject: [xsl] Re: XPath: better way to check for text nodes that aren't descendents of x or y nodes?
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:07:52 +0200

Using the wellknown XPath expression for set difference:

  $ns1 - $ns2 =

   $ns1[not(count(. | $ns2) = count($ns2))]

One would test to see if there is a non-empty set difference between the set
of all text-node descendents and those that are descendents of "llcd:vernac"
or "llcd:gloss" descendents of the current node:

The expression to test is:

   descendent::text()[not(count(. | .//*[self::llcd:vernac or
self::llcd:gloss]//text())
                              =
                                count(.//*[self::llcd:vernac or
self::llcd:gloss]//text()))
                                ]

Or quite more simple:

  count(.//text()) != count(.//*[self::llcd:vernac or
self::llcd:gloss]//text())

> My current test is
>  test=".//text()[not(ancestor::llcd:vernac | ancestor::llcd:gloss)]"

In the general case this is not correct, because it will permit "illegal"
text-nodes, which have an llcd:vernac or llcd:gloss ancestor, which is not a
descendent of the current node (but its ancestor).

Apart from this observation, a non-clever XSLT processor will build the
union in the predicate and this is quite expensive operation. I think it
would be more efficient to re-write the expression as:

.//text()[not(ancestor::llcd:vernac or ancestor::llcd:gloss)]

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.