Re: [xsl] [saxon] unwanted line breaks in HTML output

Subject: Re: [xsl] [saxon] unwanted line breaks in HTML output
From: mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 21:14:31 -0700

The source xml that makes up the text in each escape function is a
concatenation of text from sorted <indexterm> elements and <title> text of
the sections they're found in.

But, I'm not sure how relevant that is.  Again, if I output non-breaking
spaces (&nbsp;) instead of regular spaces (' ') in the text, the lines
never break in the middle and all is well with my JavaScript.  But, with
the spaces there, *something* is deciding to break the line when it exceeds
~150 chars.  I'm not sure if it's saxon, or the parser, or what.  I'm sure
this is meant as a 'feature'.  And of course, it's just fine when
outputting regular text.  I'd just like to be able to turn it off, or work
around it more elegantly than with tons of non-breaking space entities.

Mark Fletcher
PeopleSoft Language Engineering
925.694.3753
mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                          To:       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxx        cc:
                      rrytech.com                       Subject:  Re: [xsl] [saxon] unwanted line breaks in HTML output

                      05/08/2003 05:07 PM
                      Please respond to xsl-list

> Is there a default line length that saxon uses to
> determine when to start a
> new line in HTML output?
>
> I'm outputting text inside an onClick tag attribute.
> It typically looks
> like this, which is what I want (one line per
> arguement):
>
> <A HREF="javascript:void()" onClick="opendoc(
> escape('Topic One  &#8212;  Maintaining Academic
> Advisement Setup Data'),
> 'htm/lsaa11.htm#d0e13039',
> escape('Topic Two  &#8212;  Maintaining Academic
> Advisement Setup Data'),
> 'htm/lsaa11.htm#d0e13066',
> escape('Topic Three  &#8212;  Using the Analysis
> Database to Create
> Reports'),
> 'htm/lsaa13.htm#d0e15791',
> escape('Topic Four  &#8212;  Using the Analysis
> Database to Create
> Widgets'),
> 'htm/lsaa13.htm#d0e15816'
> )">Database Tables Report page</A>