Re: [xsl] XUpdate

Subject: Re: [xsl] XUpdate
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:23:42 -0400

A coupl'a months ago Mike Brown wrote:
S Woodside wrote:
> I'm considering XUpdate instead of XSLT for use to add elements to an
> existing XML instance document. I'll have an XPath and the element
> content as params, and the instance as input. I think XSLT would work
> OK, but it seems as though XUpdate offers a lot of convenience features
> I would have to write myself in XSLT to do the same thing.
>
> However, I noticed that XUpdate had active development and chatter on
> the mailing list until early 2002 and then it died away. Is this a dead
> technology? Should I roll my own in XSLT instead?

We implemented XUpdate in 4Suite [1]. It works great, and if you're also using
4Suite's repository features to write a web application in XSLT, we have an
XSLT extension element that invokes an XUpdate processor on that element's
content, to modify documents in the repository.

Hi, I was stuck on other issues but now I'm back to XUpdate again :-) So, I've done a little looking into XUpdate and XSLT and the 4suite support and I see that it's in Python. Also, I'm using libXSLT (through AxKit) so I have access to the exsl:document function to create multiple output files. Now that I'm here again I am pondering whether to use XUpdate or XSLT to update my instances, which will be individual files on disk at this point.

Anyway I noticed that the 4Suite implementation is in python which is cool but not so good for me since so far I'm doing everything in XSLT ... is there an Xupdate implementation in XSLT?

Simon