Re: [xsl] dynamic header height in region-before

Subject: Re: [xsl] dynamic header height in region-before
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:02:44 -0500

At 2003-04-03 18:51 +0200, you wrote:
      <fo:region-before display-align="before" extent="10mm"/>
      <fo:region-body margin-top="10mm"/>

BTW, tools may accept the order above, but they do so improperly. Another tool might reject the above because the order implied by the Recommendation is that the body is specified first.

Section 6.2 states the content is described using content-model syntax, but doesn't say that the order as expressed using that syntax can be violated. Section 6.4.12 explicitly orders region-body first.

But on to your question ....

In the region-before I have a <fo:block/>, which is filled with some dynamically created text. In some cases the text is longer than the one line and it must be wrapped - but this hidden because of the little extension of region-before (10mm). If I set it to 20 mm the text wraps correctly, but it goes into the region-body, what I don't want to have. Of course I can set margin-top for region-body to 20mm too, but than I have in most cases to much space between the text in the header and region-body.

So it would be nice to have a dynamic region-before height (@extent). Or region-body simply starts there where region-before ends.

As you've found, neither is available in XSL-FO 1.0.

I used region-before, because this header should be printed out on every page.

But by what criteria is it changed?

Is there any solution or workaround?

If the "dynamic" text is created by you and not by <retrieve-marker/> then can you algorithmically decide to use a different page master? There is a free resource on our web site called "Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI)" that can be used to interleave different page masters for block-level top-of-flow constructs. The canonical example is the need to present a long landscape table in the middle of portrait-oriented content ... perhaps your criteria can be satisfied by using this outboard semantic.

For example having the text in region-body, but printing it also on every page?

Nothing I know of is available in this direction.

I hope this helps.

.................. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses:   Europe (XSLT/XPath):    May  5, 2003
                             Europe (XSL-FO):        May 16, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc