Re: [xsl] Creating a binary file

Subject: Re: [xsl] Creating a binary file
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:33:23 -0500

At 2003-04-01 10:05 +1000, Hugh Dixon wrote:
I'd like to create a (proprietary) binary file, on the Windows platform,
using a XSL transformation.  Is this possible?

It is if you add a "back end" to the processor you are using. The XT tool demonstrated this with the NXML back end. You can also do it as an outboard process.

Are there libraries/COM
Components whatever, that will allow binary output from a style sheet?

None that I am aware of off the shelf.

There seem to be a number of applications to convert to XML:fo to PDF.

Yes, but XSLT doesn't play a role in going from XSL-FO to PDF ... it only plays a role if you choose to use it to go from XML to XSL-FO.

Does anyone know of something similar (although I'd like it integrated
into the style sheet, if possible) that could help me?

I've discussed this in our book, and the discussion happens to be in the free download that is available off our web site. See pages 31-33 titled "XML to binary or other formats" in the free preview download ... follow the "Book Sales" link from the top of our home page for the free previews.

The essence is to abstract the concepts in your binary file, create your own vocabulary representing the concepts, write a translator from that vocabulary to binary, and then tack on the translator to the back end of your XSLT processor (or do it outboard as illustrated in the book). You can then invoke that serialization method from your stylesheet in the <xsl:output> instruction. Again, NXML in XT illustrates this, and that vocabulary is documented on page 120 in the preview.

Remember, it will take some code for you to write to convert instances of your new vocabulary to binary files.

I hope this helps.

-- Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc