RE: [xsl] Get and save Stylesheet of XML Doc

Subject: RE: [xsl] Get and save Stylesheet of XML Doc
From: Rod Humphris - FLPTN <rod.humphris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:55:53 -0000

Hi Ankit

A complex question but...

How can I get the name of the stylesheet from an XML document using
MSXML.

You could load the xml document into a dom object and then use some dom code
(there are loads of examples around) to get the value of the stylesheet name
(I assume it's specified in the xml source) and then use that to load a new
dom object with the stylesheet.

Also I need to save this stylsheet in my project for later use.

You could then call the save() method of the dom object to persist it in
your project.

Actually, my problem is to fetch an XML doc. then make som
emodifications to it. I have to store the modifcations inside the
database and not inside the original doc itself.

Document transformations with xslt tend to produce whole new documents so
again this sounds like a case for procedural dom code to me. You can loop
down through the document saving off parts of it (or whatever) to a database
as you go.

All of this isn't going to be pretty, so it might be better if you can to
use an xslt against your source xml to create a new out put doc with
whatever info you need to keep and then later use that for comparison with
new data in the future. You can import it as well as the new data into an
xslt and get the xslt to do the sorting/comparison for you.

So that later I can
construct an XML doc from the original doc. and new data in the
database.
Now, I also need to store the stylesheet associated to the original
document, so that at later time I can build the stylsheet for new
document by importing the original stylesheet and defining new
templates.

Could you instead write one xslt with parameters to give you flexibility
instead?

Best of luck

Cheers

Rod

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily the Company. Unless expressly stated to the contrary, this email is not intended to give rise to a new, or affect an existing, contractual or other legal relationship.This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from the Company, are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this email, or any other information contained or attached,is prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal offence.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender as soon as possible.

www.focusdiy.co.uk