RE: [xsl] xsl:key may not contain references to variables

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:key may not contain references to variables
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:49:33 -0000

>   I thought this should have been a popular question,
> but somehow I did not find it in the archive.
>   I am in the process of upgrading from Saxon 6.0.2 to
> the latest 6.5.2.  While doing regression testing, I
> found compile errors "xsl:key may not contain
> references to variables".  Guess the newer version is
> more tightly following the specs.

I'm surprised that this ever worked, but 6.0.2 is a long time ago.

>   I can expand the variables so that it no longer use
> variables in both match and use attributes, but it
> will make the code less-readable and more difficult to
> maintain.  Anyone had similar problem and had a more elegant solution?

You could skip straight to Saxon 7.4: XSLT 2.0 allows global variables
to appear in key definitions, provided there are no circularities (i.e.,
the variables must not be defined in terms of the key).

For an XSLT 1.0 solution, I think you've identified the only thing
possible.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx