FW: [xsl] XSL/XML to Excel

Subject: FW: [xsl] XSL/XML to Excel
From: "bryan" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:25:16 +0100

>Depending on who's consuming this stuff,
>another way might be to output to XML-SS format (XML Spreadsheet
Schema)
>that Excel XP knows how to read and write (and I think Access XP as
well).

It does but I believe you need this:
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/msxmlss.aspx

At any rate I have that and that's how I get it on my system.

>XML-SS knows how to specify data types, such as the String and Number
>versions of your data. Note that the content is the same in both cases
--
>the attributes make the difference -- which seems cleaner to me.

>THIS WILL SHOW UP AS THE STRING "0000123":
><ss:Cell>
>    <ss:Data ss:Type="String">0000123</ss:Data>
></ss:Cell>

there's another possibility other than the two mentioned, I mention it
now mainly because you can't use the xml spreadsheet format if you're
using Web Queries, although I expect with XDocs web queries will consist
of some sort of Soap service - ugh -
the other possibility consists of using the
urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel namespace on your html table
cells which is also used in the xml spreadsheet format (In fact there is
a lot of really interesting stuff about how MS Office has bootstrapped
the office html formats and namespaces etc. for someone who has office
2002 and feels like spending much of their time going through dlls with
resHacker, through the office registry settings, and through the office
10 folder)

if you have the above namespace associated with the prefix x, as excel
will when it saves a spreadsheet as html, you can have x:num on a cell
that has a number, and x:str on a cell that has a string. Notice also
that your Table has an x:something-here as in <table x:str>...</table>
I've never tried but I suppose that this is a way of determining your
default cell settings.

Other attributes of a cell that are in the x namespace are for example:

x:fmla an excel formula

some of the elements in the x namespace are detailed in this rather old
article, with wd-xsl usage:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexxml
/html/xml10162000.asp