RE: [xsl] xsl pipeline?

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl pipeline?
From: cknell@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:49:55 -0500

[ Errea Alexandra wrote:]
> Am I missing something?
> What should i write on the xml file to show that i use
> these filters??
> And why on earth is this giving me just a blank page??
> PLEAAAAAAAAASE

As I suggested earlier, and as Ken Ross has detailed, you don't need a transformation pipeline. Since all the options you will consider (LAN, LEVEL, DISPLAY) are known before the transformations begin, you need only pass this information to the XSLT as parameters to the transformation as Ken's code shows. The default values Ken illustrated would be replaced by the values you pass to the transformation. In fact, you don't need to supply default values, although since default values would produce some output instead of no output, it would be a good idea.

Cams Ismael and David Carlisle have explained why your XSLT doesn't produce output, so I won't go into it further.

The last remaining question is, "How do you produce the transformations?" If you are relying on client-side transformation (including a reference to a stylesheet in the XML data document and opening the XML data document with a browser), then you are going to have a problem passing parameters to the transformation. If, instead, you are doing the transformation on a server and sending only the resulting HTML to the browser, then the means of passing parameters to the transformation are specific to the transformer and how it is being used. Most transformers which are designed to be used from a command line will accept parameters on the command line (e.g., MSXSL, Instant SAXON, Xalan-J). If they are being invoked via a servlet or some "x" Server Pages (substitute Active, Java, PL/SQL, Cold Fusion, etc. for "x"), then the answers vary according to the implementation.

Please tell us how you plan to proceed.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email