Re: [xsl] Beginner: adding xmlns:mml attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] Beginner: adding xmlns:mml attribute
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:57:27 +0000

Hi Roel,

>> What the stylesheet gives me, with Saxon 6.5.2, from an input document
>> with an empty <document> element, is:
>
> Right, this is what seems to be causing problems: the processor. I was
> using xsltproc, and it didn't give me the xmlns part in the html tag.
> Saxon does. Which one is right? Can they both be right? Should I notify
> anyone of a bug?

Saxon is right (it usually is). You should notify Daniel Veillard of
the bug in xsltproc.

> Anyway, another difference between Saxon & xsltproc now shows up: if
> I put inside the <head></head> tags of my xsl sheet
>
> <![CDATA[ <?import namespace="mml" implementation="#MathPlayer" ?> ]]>
>
> and I process it with xsltproc, I get
>
> <?import namespace="mml" implementation="#MathPlayer" ?>
>
> in my output sheet, as I expected (maybe wrong so).
>
> When I then process the same file with saxon, I get
>
> &lt;?import namespace="mml" implementation="#MathPlayer" ?&gt;
>
> which is not what I want :(
> Which processor is right? What is the right way to do this?

Again, Saxon is right. Here, you want to create a processing
instruction; to do that, you should use the
<xsl:processing-instruction> instruction as follows:

  <xsl:processing-instruction name="import">
    <xsl:text>namespace="mml" implementation="#MathPlayer"</xsl:text>
  </xsl:processing-instruction>

The same goes for creating comments: use the <xsl:comment> instruction
rather than including the comment literally, or wrapped in a CDATA
section, within your styelsheet:

  <xsl:comment>This is a comment</xsl:comment>

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison