Re: [xsl] output method html doesnt work with namespace in source tree

Subject: Re: [xsl] output method html doesnt work with namespace in source tree
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:07:20 +0000

Hi Andrew,

> An identity transform that specifies an output method of html, applied
> to a source where all elements are in a non-null namespace.  The usual
> suspect is the way <br /> is output:
>
> Xalan: <br/>
> Saxon: <br>
> MSXML4: <br></br>
>
> Now to quote the spec:
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method)
> The html output method should not output an element differently from the
> xml output method unless the expanded-name of the element has a null
> namespace URI; an element whose expanded-name has a non-null namespace
> URI should be output as XML. If the expanded-name of the element has a
> null namespace URI, but the local part of the expanded-name is not
> recognized as the name of an HTML element, the element should output in
> the same way as a non-empty, inline element such as span.
>
> From that I would say Xalan conforms, Saxon doesnt and MSXML is
> confused... ;-)

To continue the quote from the spec with the next paragraph:

 "The html output method should not output an end-tag for empty
  elements. For HTML 4.0, the empty elements are area, base, basefont,
  br, col, frame, hr, img, input, isindex, link, meta and param. For
  should be output as <br>."

>From this and the behaviour that you report, I'd say that Saxon
conforms and both Xalan and MSXML don't.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison