Re: [xsl] dynamic table hading XSL-FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] dynamic table hading XSL-FO
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:24:03 -0500

Lee, Insoo wrote:
  Hello,
  I have a table that spans over many pages and table heading gets printed
on top of a new page.
  I need to change the column headings on the fly... what would be the good
approach?

Assuming that you can't start a new table whenever the currency changes, you might be able to do it by putting the table heading in the region-before and using markers to define the heading. It would require careful alignment of the body and before regions, but it should be possible to get the exact presentation you want.

On each row that starts a new currency, you would put an fo:marker that provides the appropriate header text and then in the static content, use fo:marker-reference to grab the first marker on the page.

This would be easiest to do if you put each table in its own page flow (which is only possible if each new table starts a new page).

I'm finding that using a technique where you do everything in the header/footer through markers and just put in marker references and whatever static positioning elements are appropriate can be a very powerful mechanism for doing very dynamic stuff. It can't solve every problem, but within some constraints, can solve a number of problems that initially seem intractible in a pure FO context.

One key to this is to remember that the regions can overlap either other, so you can have the region-before or region-after extend into the same physical area on the page occupied by the region-body. This makes it possible, for example, use the region-before to place what would normally be the table header in the place on the page it would occur if it were actually rendered into the body region.

[Normally at this point I would try to provide some sample markup, but it's the end of the XML 2002 conference and I am not up to the task. I think I've provided enough guidance that it should be possible to figure out the markup from information readily available in the FAQ, including my table-continued example (which I think is in there somewhere--if it's not, it should be).]

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx