Re: [xsl] Embed JavaScript in XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Embed JavaScript in XSL
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:35:58 GMT

> how do you guys perform user input validation on a
> form?

It depends.  client side javascript, server side perl, server side
vbscript, whatever seems to be appropriate at the time. (I wouldn't use
XSLT).

XSLT is an XML transformation language, your form is presumably in some
html page somewhere, so isn't really related to XSLT at all.

If the form is in a page you are creating from XSLT, then just put the
javascript in the generated page, it is just character data as far as
XSLT is concerned, it will be executed as javascript once the page you
generate is given to an html/javascript engine.

Similarly if the form is constructing an xml file that you are going to
pass to xslt, then it's just a javascript/html question of validating
the form, XSLT doesn't need to know how its input was generated.

> Just the other day another user introduced me
> exslt, I believe is what its called. To do date
> formatting and things like that.

XSLT doesn't have any specific date formating functios so you have to
use the string handling, this seems a bit cumbersome at first but you
can use existing code, eg exslt's and often you'll find teh xslt vesrion
is quicker (and always more portable) than going out to a foreign
language such as javascript: inter-language communication introduces a
lot of overheads.

David