Re: [xsl] 8bit ascii encoding

Subject: Re: [xsl] 8bit ascii encoding
From: Michael Fuller <msf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:08:48 +1000

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 10:58:18AM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> > Do you think that the BOM is going to be affected by this,
> Yes BOM is a utf16 thing (to tell whether you are big or little
> endian). So if the file is or is not utf16 you should or should not get
> a BOM at the beginning.

But (and hopefully I'm not clouding the issue by saying this :-)
don't forget that it's legal (but uncommon?) for UTF-8 encoded data
to be prefaced by a UTF-8 encoded BOM.

That is, a UTF-8 encoded entity MAY start with
the three byte sequence 0xEF, 0xBB, 0xBF.

(Obviously the BOM doesn't convey any useful byte order information,
because each UTF-8 code units is a single byte, but may be present.)

Michael