RE: [xsl] creating links to resource files listed in XML file

Subject: RE: [xsl] creating links to resource files listed in XML file
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:18:44 +0100

> Also can I ask why < and > aren't allowed in attributes in
> XML/XSL. Is it just to make parsing easier?

Well: they aren't allowed in XSLT because they aren't allowed in XML.

They aren't allowed in XML because (presumably) they were either not
allowed in SGML, or they were allowed in SGML and caused no end of
problems.

If elements were allowed inside attributes, then there would be hardly
any remaining difference between elements and attributes, and there
would then be a very strong case for doing everything with elements and
getting rid of attributes entirely. And of course, if you choose to
stick to elements only in your result document, then you don't need this
non-element syntax for attribute value templates.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx