Re: [xsl] more encoding woe

Subject: Re: [xsl] more encoding woe
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:14:29 +0100

> 1.  Is there a standard font for unicode and where can I get it? (what
> do you use?)

No, that would mean the whole world used the same fonnt for all
characters (as unicode aims to be the character encoding for the world,
or universe, actually).

Many fonts these days are "big" and have a lot more glyphs than the
traditional latin 1 or Adobe encodings. Lucida sans uniocde comes with
Nt/w2000 and has most of unicode 2 (but as a sans serif font isn't
always what you want).

> 2.  What is the best way to ensure random client users can see the
> 2.  font?

how random is random? The big problem with for example mathml on mozilla
is how to install the needed fonts on platforms other than windows,
where standard the location of the fonts for a unix x server might not
be available to the person installing the client. If you can asume
windows then things are simpler, not because windows is necessarily
better at this, just that it cuts out some of the variation.

> - is the only gurantee to include it in the install?
often licences (even for free fonts) prevent that.

David
[we're way off topic now]