RE: [xsl] encoding issues

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding issues
From: "Andrew Welch" <awelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:03:14 +0100

>I think what's going on is that you're expecting to "see" the result of
>putting a space or sequence of spaces into the xml file when you view
>the xml file in IE(or is it that you want the whitespace to be
>maintained on output itself?). That won't happen since xml files are
>supposed to ignore whitespace, now if you put xml:space="preserve" as
an
>attribute on the element you want the whitespace to be significant in
my
>understanding is that it should be displayed.
>However my experience with IE is that it does not display it, perhaps
>this is a bug in the Defaultss.xsl.

preserving whitespace only preserves whitespace only text nodes, which
is a different matter.  What I am wondering is:

1. How IE decides which encoding to use
2. Why MSXML4 doesnt output unicode if you specify encoding="utf-8" in
xsl:output
3. Why, when using output encoding="utf-16", msxml4 gives me unicode and
saxon doesnt

nb. when I say 'gives me', I mean IE autoselects that encoding.

Please test it yourself:

==xml==
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
  <node>foo&#160;bar</node>
</root>

==xsl==
<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="utf-8"/>
<xsl:template match="root">
  <xsl:value-of select="node"/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Run the transformation using msxml and saxon and then let me know
encoding IE selects (of course make sure auto-select is checked).

I get something like fooAbar where the 'A' is the unrecognised character
symbol.

cheers
andrew

>...I just dont get it.  The xml specifies utf-8, the xsl specifies
utf-8
>and has xml output type, the output has an xml declaration specifying
>utf-8, and its all run through saxon which defaults to utf-8!  So why
>does IE 'autodetect' Western European and not recognise &#160; ??

I think what's going on is that you're expecting to "see" the result of
putting a space or sequence of spaces into the xml file when you view
the xml file in IE(or is it that you want the whitespace to be
maintained on output itself?). That won't happen since xml files are
supposed to ignore whitespace, now if you put xml:space="preserve" as an
attribute on the element you want the whitespace to be significant in my
understanding is that it should be displayed.
However my experience with IE is that it does not display it, perhaps
this is a bug in the Defaultss.xsl.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---