Re: [xsl] Repart generation with XSL Stylesheet

Subject: Re: [xsl] Repart generation with XSL Stylesheet
From: Antonio Fiol <fiol@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:18:10 +0200

Ranjith Kodikara wrote:

We are developing a information selling system for a chamber of commerce and
we want to generate reports for user requests. First we let users to select
a query criteria. Then I hope to generate an xml document; which is a jsp
file generated from the database, with xml content type. Then at the moment
my idea is to generate an html document by parsing that xml file via an xsl
stylesheet.

if you want the browser to transform the XML into HTML, then no problem. If you want to do that server side, you'll be in a bit more trouble because you're doing that in JSP.

Do you think this method is suitable? Then can I write an xsl stylesheet
with jsp.

What for?

If I generate html's with xml files using Xalan , when users are generating
reports doesnt the folder in the web server get filled with html files?

No, if you don't save them to disk. You just need to send the HTML to the browser.

However, I insist that if you generate XML with your JSP and want to transform the XML into HTML server side, you may have a hard time, especially if you are a newbie to the JAXP API.

Tip: Generate the XML in a StringBuffer, but do not output it. Transform it using whatever XSLT engine you like, and then output the HTML. Content-type: text/html.

Otherwise, you can send your XML and XSL to the browser (use <?xsl-stylesheet ...?>) and let the browser do the transform. This will work with Mozilla and IE6.0 only.

Antonio Fiol