RE: [xsl] XSL: For-Each Efficient or Not?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL: For-Each Efficient or Not?
From: "bryan" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:06:28 +0200

Wendell wrote:
>m:apply[factorof[not(preceding-sibling::*)]]

>will be better than

>m:apply[child::*[position()=1 and name()='factorof']]

at first I didn't get your point on this one. I supposed on further
consideration that it was right, although it seems like it would be
mainly dependent on the order in which xpath is evaluated by the
processor, I mean that a reasonably clever processor would evaluate
[position()=1 and name()='factorof'] first and then from there look for
any child::* which matched this, with the result that it would only
check the first child to see if it had a name of factorof?
Am I very wrong in this supposition?