RE: [xsl] Merging two XML files

Subject: RE: [xsl] Merging two XML files
From: "Sachidanandam E K" <sachidanandam.kumaraswamy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:18:12 +0530

http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/index.html
Look here..Jeni had done it already..!!

Cheers!!
Sachi

Sachidanandam.E.K
Member Techinical Staff

HCLT KT-ODC
sachidanandam.kumaraswamy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sachidanandam.kumaraswamy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kalyan Kumar
Mudumbai
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 2:34 PM
To: XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [xsl] Merging two XML files

Hi All, I'm new to using XSL. I have a small problem while merging
two xml files. I have two xml files and one xsl file which merges
them as shown below. And the result is also shown below
--------------
Input.xml
--------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Person>
     <Name>
         <LastName/>
         <FirstName/>
     </Name>
</Person>
-------------------
Doc.xml
-----------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Person>
     <Name>
         <MiddleName/>
     </Name>
</Person>
-------------------
Merge.xsl
-------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">
    <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />

<!--source of data; default can be overridden on command line-->
    <xsl:param name="source" select="'./Doc.xml'" />

<!-- Copy XSL elements and their attributes -->
    <xsl:template match="*">
       <xsl:copy>
          <xsl:for-each select="@*">
             <xsl:copy>
                <xsl:value-of select="." />
             </xsl:copy>
          </xsl:for-each>

          <xsl:apply-templates select="node()" />
       </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="Name">
       <xsl:copy>
          <xsl:for-each select="@*">
             <xsl:copy>
                <xsl:value-of select="." />
             </xsl:copy>
          </xsl:for-each>
          <xsl:apply-templates select="*" />
          <xsl:apply-templates
select="document($source)/Person/Name/MiddleName" />
       </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
-----------------------------------
Result.xml
-------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Person>
     <Name>
         <LastName/>
         <FirstName/>
         <MiddleName/>
     </Name>
</Person>
----------------------------------

So, from the two input files it is obvious that I wanted to merge
the leaf nodes of <Name>. I was able to do that using the above
Merge.xsl file, but there is a problem with that. In one of the
templates I had to hardcode that select="Name". But what I wanted
to do is, without any hardcoding, I wanted to get the local-name()
of the current node, for example "Name", lookup in the Doc.xml
file, if there is any node with it's name as "Name" and then
merge. There shouldn't be any sort of hardcoding. Can someone help
me out in doing that.

               Thanks,
Regards,
Kalyan