Re: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:39:29 +0100

> I was saying that if the needs of your application are met by the PI approach,
> then it makes sense to use it, but the PI approach does not meet the needs of
> all applications -- I believe it in fact only works well under very specific
> circumstances,

agreed.

> such as when you've got no problem with the fact that your PIs
> might be ignored -

Not agreed. saying that an application might ignore a PI is like saying
that an application may ignore <security level="top secret"> and publish
the information on the web. It's true, whatever the syntax is used,
elements, PIs lisp, ... it requires applications that read the syntax
and implement the specification of that syntax.

>  when they're being applied to tie data to business logic;
> aapplications shouldn't be forced to fit the PI model.

so business applications shouldn't specify their input using say dtd or
schema either both of which are only optionally read by a minimal XML
application (which needn't implement XSLT either).

> Your counterargument seems to be "here's an application where PIs make sense,
> so the PI approach is good". I don't see that as much of an argument. I didn't
> say PIs were never good, only that they are the most desirable solution for
> XML+XSLT over the web in far fewer circumstances than (I think) developers
> would like to believe

Accepted that a lot of XML travels over the web in machine to machine
communication, for serving of XML over the web to browsers for human
consumption, I'd say the PI is currently the only option available.
(There are other options, such as server side transformation, but tehy
don't involve serving XML over the web)

David