[xsl] Support for XSL-FO

Subject: [xsl] Support for XSL-FO
From: "Jesse Heines" <heines@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:25:44 -0400

In some ways this is a question specifically for Michael Kay, but I am
posting it here rather than sending it directly to Michael because I
think others may be interested in his response, and I think others may
have a different answer that I would also like to hear.

On page 22 of the first edition of Michael's XSLT Programmer's
Reference, he states: "... The [XSL-FO] standard is not yet stable, and
the only products that implement it are at a very early stage of
development."  With a copyright date of 2000, I assume that this
statement was written in late 1999 or early 2000.

Is this statement still true?  I found one implementation at RenderX.com
with a freely downloadable evaluation version (and quite pricey
commercial version at $5,000), but so far I have not found others at the
same level.

Thus I would appreciate hearing people's opinions on the truth of
Michael's above statement today and comments on other implementations.
I'm particularly interested in free implementations because I'm a
college professor and want to develop some demonstrations and hopefully
even an exercise for my classes.

Thank you,
Jesse Heines
University of Massachusetts Lowell