Re: [xsl] loading scripting languages in xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] loading scripting languages in xslt
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:13:07 +0200

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 08:53:19AM -0300, Guilherme Capilé wrote:

> Thanks everybody for all the help, but can anyone help me with EXSLT or any other
> extension functions?

[...]
> > XSLT processors offer such extensions; check the docs for your processor. You
> > may also want to research if the processor you are using supports the EXSLT
> > exsl:document element described at
> > http://exslt.org/exsl/elements/document/index.html
>
> I am currently using libxslt in a apache module mod_xslt (that's my glue to
> httpd), but I am willing to try any other non-java (jdk gave me a headache in
> FreeBSD) server-side implementation which does not embed xml in another scripting
> language.

  Well along with libxslt you have libexslt which is bundled with libxslt
sources and distributions.
You can register EXSLT within your module with:

#include <libexslt/exslt.h>
#include <libexslt/exsltconfig.h>

   /* somewhere in the module init code */
   exsltRegisterAll();

And don't forget to add the dependancy inb the libexslt shared lib.

> And my last doubt: what was the problem with xsl:script? Doesn't exslt have the
> same function as an extension?

  No and the real problem is the hard binding between both
language, you need to mix both interpreters (for XSLT and the extension
language). Another controversial point was the bias toward Java (already
present in the XSLT 1.0 spec unfortunately).

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/