Re: [xsl] Syntax Assistance Needed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Syntax Assistance Needed
From: Antonio Fiol <fiol@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:56:11 +0200

Scott Purcell wrote:

Hello,
I have the following code <xsl:if test="label[.!='']">

I am picking up a project from someone else, and I cannot find the meaning of [.!='']
I have searched quite hard to find out what the . means but never found it. Could someone please explain what that means and what the '.' period means. As it is used in quite a few other lines.

eg <xsl:when test="item_type[.='user_art']">

Hi,

. means current node. When comparing a node to a string, its string_value is used.

So, label[.!=''] means "the label node(s) that contain(s) some text".
And item_type[.='user_art'] means "the item_type node(s) that contain(s) the text user_art".

IIRC, when a node set expression such as those shown is used in a test condition, it slightly changes its meaning by changing "the" by "is there a".

Antonio Fiol