[xsl] No character data allowed between top level elements

Subject: [xsl] No character data allowed between top level elements
From: Eric K Taylor <eric_k_taylor@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:06:40 -0500

I'm just switching a MSXML file to XSLT.  When I try to process the file
with Instant Saxon (6.5.1), the transformation fails, telling me that "No
character data allowed between top level elements." My XSL currently
looks looks like this:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
          xmlns:HTML="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<xsl:template match="newsletter">  <!--**** THIS IS THE LINE THAT GETS
THE ERROR-->
  <HTML>
    <HEAD>
        <!--style stuff here-->
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
        <!--a bunch of HTML here-->
        <xsl:apply-templates select="article"/>
    </BODY>
  </HTML>
</xsl:template>

<!--various templates here-->

</xsl:stylesheet>

(<newsletter> is the name of the root element in my XML data; I also
tried <xsl:template match="/"> but that didn't work either. Plainly I'm
missing something basic, but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks,
Eric