RE: [xsl] Namespace wildcards

Subject: RE: [xsl] Namespace wildcards
From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:20:40 -0600

> In light of all the issues with namespaces that already exist, I feel
> compelled to ask whether the namespace wildcards introduced in XPath
> 2.0 <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#node-tests> are a good idea.

[snip]

>  Do we
> really want to allow this? Do we actually need this? I'm really
> afraid this is going to further confuse developers about namespaces
> and encourage bad practices.

Presumably if you match on a wild card you know what you're doing? Why else
would you be using them?

I do have some XSLT which matches on local-name() for this very reason: I
don't care what namespace the source was from, the transformation is
generic.  However, for my purposes, local-name() is sufficient.  However, I
can imagine some generic templates where other Xpath manipulation is wanted
and local-name won't suffice (IE; you want multiple nodes)...???