RE: [xsl] RE: supposed timing problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] RE: supposed timing problem
From: Jay Burgess <jburgess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:37:45 -0600

To wrap-up my thread, once I knew that my problem wasn't XSL-related, I turned to the Xalan bug database and found what appears to be the problem I've encountered. Bug 5609 is still open and says:

Initial report (28-Dec-2001): When using a single Transformer object to transform multiple XML documents, if the XSLT contains a global <xsl:variable> declaration, the variable will be assigned a value from the first transformation that occurs. This value will then be applied to all subsequent transformations even though the value initially assigned the variable was from a separate XML document.

Follow-up (2-Jan-2002): A work around for this was to make the global variables local and pass them around to the templates where they were used. This workaround has worked for me in version 2_2_D10 but the following is a stack trace received when running the same scenario under 2_2_D14.

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.NullPointerException

Follow-up (7-Jan-2002): OK, is it just me, or is re-using transformers totally broken today (07-Jan-02)?
TestID: Bugzilla5609.java
Running the new Bugzilla5609.java test the first transform runs fine but the second one always throws an exception: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.NullPointerException

I'm convinced this is my problem, as I'm re-using a transformer, Sun's XML Pack uses 2_2_D14, and I'm getting the same NullPointerException. Now, on to debugging Xalan...

Thanks.

Jay