Re: [xsl] General Searching query

Subject: Re: [xsl] General Searching query
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:08:18 -0800

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > You have around 20,000 xml files, all around 10k in size.  You have to
write
> > a stylesheet that will run on IE5.5 using MSXML2.5 (possibly v3) that
will
> > search the XML files, based on a name-value pair.
>
> If I were you, I'd decline the assignment. Its just plain silly.
> this is what god gave us databases for!

The only truly silly part about his requirement is that the XSLT run on
IE/MSXML. Take that away and it's still silly only because no one has yet
implemented XSLT over a persistent document store (alternatively, "XSLT as a
query language"). In other words, XSLT isn't scalable, only because
traditional implementations require the input to be loaded into memory. On
the other hand, an implementation of XSLT as a query language wouldn't have
this limitation. It would target a different processing model, where the
input documents are known ahead of time, as opposed to coming in fresh off
the wire. This alternative processing model is part of what the TransQuery
effort is addressing. See http://transquery.org

It's up to vendors to answer this promise. My company is working on it.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.