RE: [xsl] Please check !!

Subject: RE: [xsl] Please check !!
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:58:39 -0000

> COuld you please tell me if this is the right way.

No, it isn't.

> <xsl:variable name="varYear">
>
>       <xsl:for-each select="Document/Year">
>           <xsl:sort select="@Value" order="ascending"
> />
>              <xsl:value-of
> select="concat('Document/Year[@Value=',@Value,']')"
> disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
>       </xsl:for-each>
>
> </xsl:variable>

If your source structure is something like
<Document>
<Year Value="3"/><Year Vaue="A"/><Year Value="1"/>
</Document>

Then your variable varYear will be the root of a result tree fragment
containing a single text node whose value is

Document/Year[@Value=1]Document/Year[@Value=3]Document/Year[@Value=A]

The disable-output-escaping doesn't affect the value of the variable, it
only affects what happens if you later do an xsl:copy-of with it.

> and then later I use it here, to run a loop,
>
> <xsl:for-each select="$varYear">

>       &#xA0;<xsl:value-of select="@Value"/>
> </xsl:for-each>

$varYear is a single root node, so the xsl:for-each only iterates once. The
root node doesn't have an @Value attribute, so the <xsl:value-of> outputs
nothing.

Mike Kay