RE: [xsl] testing for existence of an element - multiple variables

Subject: RE: [xsl] testing for existence of an element - multiple variables
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:55:53 +0100

> <xsl:if test="$doc1//CommonSoFar/$thisone"/> I get a compile
> error with an
> objection to the second $ . How else could I code this ?

<xsl:if test="$doc1//CommonSoFar/*[name()=$thisone]"/>>

> I realise I am missing the point somewhere here but I cannot
> get my head round it.

Variables hold values, they don't hold parts of an expression. XPath isn't a
macro language like some shell script languages. I think people often assume
it works this way because they've used macro languages that prefix variables
with a "$" sign.

Mike Kay