[xsl] [RE:] Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5

Subject: [xsl] [RE:] Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5
From: timw@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:40:38 +1000

Hi all,

A while back there was a lot of discusion about the use of non-breaking
spaces
(&160; vs. <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;nbsp;</xsl:text>)

> What's everyone's impression of tip #5?
>
> http://java.oreilly.com/news/javaxslt_0801.html
>
> Ironically, the page itself appears to be well-formed XHTML!
>
> Evan

As no-one on the list knew of examples where &160; didn't work, I contacted
the author.

Eric Burke said that he was aware of the discussion on this mailing list,
and tip #5 has been re-submited to the webmaster for updating to reflect
people's comments.  It should be online soon.

Also, a readers response tag has been added to the end of the article if you
want to make a comment,

Cheers,

Tim Watts

---------

The new tip #5 in summary...

"Here is a summary of the techniques presented here:

"Use the "&#160;" character entity to represent non-breaking spaces. This
works when the output method is "html", because most XSLT processors convert
the entity to the literal characters "&nbsp;". The XSLT specification does
not mandate this behavior, but Xalan works this way.

"Define an entity for "&nbsp;" and use that. This is effectively identical
to the first approach, but may look nicer for stylesheet authors. It may
introduce problems when certain tools mistakenly try to validate the
stylesheet against the non-existent DTD.

"Use <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;nbsp;</xsl:text> as an
alternative to "&#160;". This is particularly useful when the output method
is "xml". The XSLT specification does not mandate that processors support
disable-output-escaping.